From: Eddie Mihalow Jr <eamjr56@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 13:55:46
1 David Relson wrote:
2 > On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:25:55 -0600
3 > Eddie Mihalow Jr wrote:
4 >
5 > ...[snip]...
6 >
7 >> You are missing the point of Gentoo then. We are NOT a binary distro
8 >> (to repeat ad nauseum). If you want that kind of install, please
9 >> change distros. I do find these other methods of install to be
10 >> interesting though. Has anyone on this list ever used a PXE boot
11 >> image to install?
12 >
13 > I thought the point of gentoo was the ability to customize settings for
14 > optimal performance/ and fit. I see this customization as starting
15 > during installation and continuing after that. I also see it as
16 > separate from _how_ the initial installation occurs.
17 >
18 > Is it gentoo's goal to make the installation difficult so only a select
19 > group can do the install? Or is the goal to make gentoo a great
20 > distro? In the latter case, why not make the installation easy?
21 >
22 > David
23 I'm sorry, but this is such a well-worn path and has been beat to death.
24 This is not Ubuntu or yadda yadda yadda. This Gentoo. Maybe this is the
25 price of admission. If it is, well too bad. If all the Gentoo users that
26 fill the mailinglists and forums
27 have been able to install Gentoo with the aid of the best docs, you
28 should be able too. Gentoo does not make it's goal to be difficult.
29 Because it is different than the way YOU think it should be. It is what
30 it is. Not what you want or will be happy with? Go somewhere else.
33 Edward A Mihalow Jr
34 Mudbug Computers and Networks
35 Gentoo! Linux
36 Registered Linux User#225662