From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updates = slow firefox
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:22:40
1 >>>> Can anyone confirm that as users we should be moving away from hal?
2 >>>
3 >>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.8-upgrade-guide.xml
4 >>> http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/XorgHAL
5 >>
6 >> OK, and since xorg-server-1.7 doesn't have a udev USE flag, I should
7 >> probably stick with hal until 1.8.  Please let me know if that isn't
8 >> the case.  I'm on udev-149.
9 >
10 > If HAL is working for you, stick with it.  If not, turn it off.  Xorg
11 > 1.7 works equally well with or without HAL.  The main difference is how
12 > much manually configuration you need to do.
13 >
14 > The relative stability of using/not using udev with Xorg 1.8 have yet to
15 > determined.
16
17 Could switching to udev from hal fix my brightness adjustment keys?
18
19 - Grant