From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.3.1 query
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:02:31
1 On Mittwoch 16 September 2009, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > Faced with the KDE 4 steamroller rumbling & shuddering ever closer,
3 > I've been trying out the 4.3.1 versions of apps I frequently use.
4 > I have not installed the desktop management part of KDE,
5 > only the apps themselves & whatever deps they require:
6 > Fluxbox is my desktop manager of choice.
7
8 fluxbox is not a manager. It is merely a window manager. And you can continue
9 to use it if you want to. KDE can use all ICCCM adhering WM.
12 > Konsole 4.3.1 -- very much dumbed down from 3.5.10 ;
13 > big problem: it seems impossible to predetermine window size;
14 > result: back to 3.5.10 & be prepared to use Xterm & Xfce's Terminal.
15
16 strange, every konsole window I open has the same size.
17
18 Also, do you have tried the geometry setting? right click on title, window
19 specific settings, create profil, put size into profile done.
22 > Okular 4.3.1 -- usable, but no noticeable improvement on Kpdf 3.5.10 .
23
24 that is a joke, right?
25 >
26 > Konqueror 4.3.1 -- no way to import bookmarks,
27 > but they are easily copied from ~/.kde3.5 , as are style sheets;
28
29 wrong.
30
31 bookmark editor:
32 'File' 'import', 'import kde 3 bookmarks'.
33
34 Wow, that was hard to find. Took me less than 5 seconds.
35
36 Of course, a simple copy works just as fine.
39 > not explored in any depth, but an impression of dumbing down too
40 > (this is for the I/net, not local file management);
41 > I don't use it much, prefering Firefox for everyday browsing.
42
43 ???
44
45 > I won't comment on the aesthetics of the brave new KDE ...
46 >
47 > Does anyone know how to preset Konsole 4 window sizes for different uses ?
48
49 see above, right click on title bar?