From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads up: Gentoo fouls up mail transport agent.
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 10:32:55
1 On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 07:46:47 +0200, François-Xavier CARTON wrote:
2
3 > I was also surprised to see the installation of a mta in an emerge
4 > update, so I masked virtual/mta to see why this dependency was pulled.
5 > It turns out that app-crypt/gnupg depends on virtual/mta since version
6 > 2.2.6.
7
8 Yes. This was indeed the package (well, version 2.2.8) whose
9 installation in June pulled in virtual/mta.
10
11 > Now the question is, why does gpg need a mta?
12
13 It surely doesn't. This is surely a bug. One can picture a highly
14 secure environment where encrypted email arrives on one box, and is
15 transferred to another, disconnected, box for decryption. Here it is
16 essential that no MTA exists on the box that uses gnupg.
19 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).