From: "François-Xavier CARTON" <fx.carton@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads up: Gentoo fouls up mail transport agent.
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 05:49:50
1 Le 22/07/2018 à 00:10, Mike Gilbert a écrit :
2 > On Sat, Jul 21, 2018 at 5:03 PM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de> wrote:
3 >> Hello, Gentoo.
4 >>
5 >> Right at the moment, I feel a lot of sympathy with Alan Grimes, and need
6 >> a lot of restraint in avoiding the use of swear words in describing some
7 >> Gentoo developer.
8 >>
9 >> ...
10 >>
11 >> nullmailer installs a file /usr/sbin/sendmail. This masks out the
12 >> correct /usr/bin/sendmail (which is a symbolic link to s/qmail, which I
13 >> installed by hand, not using emerge) because /usr/sbin is before
14 >> /usr/bin in $PATH.
15 >>
16 >> ...
17 >>
18 >> But what's the proper method to tell my gentoo system that I don't want
19 >> crud like nullmailer installed? How can I guard myself against such
20 >> presumptiousness on the part of the Gentoo devs in the future?
21 >
22 > You must have installed a package that depends on virtual/mta,
23 > presumably because it needs to send emails. Had you installed qmail
24 > using portage, the virtual/mta dep would have been satisfied by it,
25 > and nullmailer would not have been installed in the first place.
26 > However, you didn't do that, and so portage had no idea qmail was
27 > installed.
28 >
29 > A possible workaround would be to add mail-mta/netqmail to
30 > package.provided on your system. However, there's still no guarantee
31 > that your custom-built qmail software will work with other packages
32 > provided by Gentoo.
33 >
34 > Regarding your accusations: Gentoo developers cannot anticipate every
35 > possible thing you might do on your system, especially when you start
36 > installing custom programs in paths that are traditionally managed by
37 > our package manager. Using portage you can customize your system
38 > extensively, without needing to custom build your own software. If
39 > that's not good enough for you, go build a Linux from Scratch system
40 > and enjoy the lack of any package management or support whatsoever.
44 I was also surprised to see the installation of a mta in an emerge
45 update, so I masked virtual/mta to see why this dependency was pulled.
46 It turns out that app-crypt/gnupg depends on virtual/mta since version
47 2.2.6.
48
49 Now the question is, why does gpg need a mta?