From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel configuration problem -- genkernel: no irq handler; manual config: root filesystem could not be mounted r/w
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 01:03:52
In Reply to: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel configuration problem -- genkernel: no irq handler; manual config: root filesystem could not be mounted r/w by rocwhite168
1 rocwhite168 wrote:
2 > Bill Longman<bill.longman<at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> Yikes. Sorry, I didn't look back through the thread.
6 >>
7 >> Did you notice that you have an extra zero in your CONFIG_PHYSICAL:
8 >>
9 >> CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x1000000
10 >> # CONFIG_RELOCATABLE is not set
11 >> CONFIG_PHYSICAL_ALIGN=0x1000000
12 >>
13 >> The default is 0x100000 for x86.
16 > Thanks for your suggestion! I tried and it seems the previous
17 > problem disappeared but it throws out another error:
18 >
19 > "Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
20 > VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
21 > VFS: Cannot open root device "sda5" or unknown-block(2,0)
22 > Please append ac correct "root=" boot option; here are the
23 > available partitions:
24 > Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
25 > unknown-block(2,0)
26 > Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.31-gentoo-r10 #2"
27 >
28 > I searched the Internet for a while, but still can't find any solutions.
29 > The root partition is definitely sda5, as also specified in the fstab file.
32 Do you have SATA drives or IDE? If you have IDE, try changing your
33 fstab and grub line from sda5 to hda5. That error is caused by that
34 pretty much every time. Keep in mind, it doesn't matter what the drive
35 reports itself as when booted off the CD, it only matters how the kernel
36 YOU built sees it. It can be set up to see it either way. I have IDE
37 and mine still sees it as hda, hdb etc except for my SATA drive that is
38 hooked up to a card. That one is sda.
39
40 If you have SATA drives, I'm back to clueless but thinking on it.
41
42 Dale
43