From: Randy Barlow <randall_barlow@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Portage on RHEL4?
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:46:31
1 Howdy,
2
3 I've got a fun little project to install portage on RHEL 4.
4 Unfortunately, the powers that be won't allow me to put Gentoo, so I
5 figured I'd do the best I can and put portage :)
6
7 So I pulled the tar ball, and put the binaries where they go and such.
8 I set my profile up, and my make.conf. Now I try to emerge -e system,
9 and everything goes well until it gets to gcc. At this stage, I get
10 hundreds of errors along the lines of einfo, eend, and ebegin being
11 commands that are "not found".
12
13 I found some message board threads about people trying to do this, but
14 they were dated to 2002, and they used the inject emerge command which
15 is now deprecated (and the packages they said to inject no longer
16 exist!) Could someone guide me in the right direction? Anyone know
17 what the e commands are and how to get them? Anyone know of a guide
18 that I haven't found that talks about how to install portage on a
19 general linux system? Thanks!
20
21 Randy
22 --