From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] x86 boot failure
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 13:41:20
1 On 6 May 2010 13:38, Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca> wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 >> On 6 May 2010 09:37, Roger Mason <rmason@×××.ca> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> Can anyone suggest how to debug this?
7 >>
8 >> When I get problems like this I usually run grub in a terminal and
9 >> then use autocompletion to find out what grub sees:
10 >>
11 >> root (hd      <--tab
12 >>
13 >> it will list all partitions and hopefully help you find your boot partition.
14 >>
15 >> Then search for the kernel image:  kernel /boot/       <--tab
16 >>
17 >> If you have chosen the correct grub root partition you should find
18 >> your kernel image in there.
19 >
20 > I assume you mean to boot from the install CD then chroot into the new
21 > install and run grub from bash?
22
23 Yes, use a live CD, chroot, su to root and run grub from a terminal.
24 --
25 Regards,
26 Mick