From: Mike Civil <mike@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Discontinued Package: Copy to local overlay, just leave installed, or install manually?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2023 12:46:42
1 On 19/02/2023 11:57, Matthias Hanft wrote:
2 > Ehm... maybe a misunderstanding? The posting I mentioned was:
3 >
4 > --- cut here ---
5 >
6 > Subject: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: dev-python/oauth2client and revdeps (app-misc/gcalcli, app-misc/goobook, net-misc/gsutil)
7 > # Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> (2023-02-03)
8 > # The package has been archived upstream. It is broken with all Python
9 > # versions supported by Gentoo, and it is broken with django-2.
10 > # The other listed packages are its reverse dependencies.
11 > # Removal on 2023-03-05. Bug #718972.
12 > app-misc/gcalcli
13 > app-misc/goobook
14 > dev-python/gcs-oauth2-boto-plugin
15 > dev-python/google-apitools
16 > dev-python/google-reauth-python
17 > dev-python/oauth2client
18 > net-misc/gsutil
19 >
20 > --- cut here ---
21 >
22 > I interpreted this as "all of them are going to be removed".
23 >
24 > Anyway, "equery d oauth2client" lists gcs-oauth2-boto-plugin,
25 > google-apitools, and google-reauth-python as well (which are
26 > dependencies of gsutil). So even the removal of oauth2client
27 > alone would break gsutil.
28 >
29 > BTW, all of them have only python_targets_python3_9 and 3_10.
30 > Currenty I have Python 3.10 and 3.11 installed, and "eselect
31 > python list" says "3.11 3.10" (in that order). Why does gsutil
32 > work anyway? Automatic fallback to 3.10?
33 >
34 > I guess I must not ever deinstall Python 3.10 in order to keep
35 > this running?
36 >
37 > -Matt
38 >
39 Fair enough - so the issue is really with dev-python/oauth2client which
40 does look abandoned. That's the package you really need to keep a local
41 copy of but that really looks like it could break at any time.
42
43 However the README from that package states:-
44
45 "Note: oauth2client is now deprecated. No more features will be added to
46 the libraries and the core team is turning down support. We recommend
47 you use google-auth and oauthlib. For more details on the deprecation,
48 see oauth2client deprecation."
49
50 Portage has google-auth and friends.
51
52 Note that gsutil itself is still being maintained (at
53 https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/gsutil) and as it's the
54 "official" Google package then is already likely to work with the latest
55 access methods.
56
57 Worst case uninstall the portage gsutil and look into installing gsutil
58 into /usr/local from the official GoogleCloud site above. I'd expect
59 Portage's gsutil to catch up at some point.
60
61 IMO installing local copies of gsutil with broken dependency packages
62 and then maintaining them looks like a potential world of pain !