From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying root to SSD in one go...a good idea...or?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 18:39:46
1 On 04/05 01:08, Dale wrote:
2 > tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 > > On 04/05 10:33, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > >> On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:13 AM <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
5 > >>> Hi,
6 > >>>
7 > >>> currentlu I am preparing a new Gentoo Linux by compiling all
8 > >>> the application I had on my old system.
9 > >>>
10 > >>> Due to delivery problems (corona) my SSD was delivered today
11 > >>> (or yesterday...it depends...;) .
12 > >>>
13 > >>> When the whole compilation has finished and the system boots it
14 > >>> needs to be transfered to the SSD.
15 > >>>
16 > >>> The SSD has a heat spreader...so it gets hot, when used.
17 > >>>
18 > >>> Is it wise to copy the whole root system to the SSD in one go
19 > >>> in respect to a not so healthy heat increase?
20 > >>>
21 > >>> And if not...how can I copy the root system in portions
22 > >>> to the SSD and do not miss anything?
23 > >>>
24 > >>> Are there SDD-friendly and SSD-unfriendlu methods of copying
25 > >>> greater chunks of data to a SSD (rsync, tar-pipe, cp....)?
26 > >>> What is recommended here?
27 > >>>
28 > >>> Thanks a lot for any help for a SSD newbie in advance!
29 > >>>
30 > >>> Cheers! And stay heathy!
31 > >>> Meino
32 > >>>
33 > >> Just my 2 cents...
34 > >>
35 > >> If the SSD cannot survive having data copied to it there's something
36 > >> seriously wrong with the drive. I don't think you should be overly worried
37 > >> about this but I do understand it's new technology so you want to be
38 > >> careful. Bravo for that.
39 > >>
40 > >> Possibly to ease your concerns a little bit use smartctl -a /dev/SSD and
41 > >> get to know your drive that way. You can most likely watch the drive temp
42 > >> as recorded by the drive.
43 > >>
44 > >> Best wishes,
45 > >> Mark
46 > > Hi Mark,
47 > >
48 > > Yes, if a SSD could not survive writes, something is wrong with the
49 > > SSD. But that was not my point.
50 > > Copying about 100GB (roughly guessed) data in one go to the SSD is a
51 > > use case, which is not common. And therefore possibly not taken into
52 > > account by the company, which create that SSD.
53 > > SSDs can create noticeable heat (mine has a minimalistic heat
54 > > spreader therefore. Faster SSDs come with a substancial heatspreader).
55 > >
56 > > Smartctl will report problems when they are already there.
57 > > I want to prevent problems beforehand.
58 > >
59 > > So -- does copying about 100 GB creates so much heat in the sillicone
60 > > of the SSD, that it ages more than preferred?
61 > >
62 > > And if so, how can I prevent it by appluing other techniques to copy
63 > > the data?
64 > > See additional questions in my initial posting for that.
65 > >
66 > > Thanks a lot for any helpful advice in advance!
67 > > Cheers!
68 > > Meino
71 > If you are using rsync or cp -u you could start the copy then stop at it
72 > certain points to let the SSD cool, then start it again.  It will
73 > basically pick up where it left off.  You could monitor the temps while
74 > doing that.  I use smartctrl and then grep temp on the end so I only get
75 > the temp readings.  Something similar to this might help:
78 > smartctl -a /dev/sdd | grep Temp
81 > Another option, temporarily place a fan close to the drive to help cool
82 > it.  Once you get everything copied, remove the fan and carry on.
83 >
84 > Dale
85 >
86 > :-)  :-)
89 Hi Dale,
90
91 I have become a fan of your idea with the fan... :)
92
93 Yes, of course! Great...after uears of thinking on software
94 level such things, which provide a solution, which exists in
95 the phusical world does not pop up in my head...
96
97 Will do that! :)
98 Cheers!
99 Meino