From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying root to SSD in one go...a good idea...or?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 18:08:18
1 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 04/05 10:33, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:13 AM <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> currentlu I am preparing a new Gentoo Linux by compiling all
7 >>> the application I had on my old system.
8 >>>
9 >>> Due to delivery problems (corona) my SSD was delivered today
10 >>> (or yesterday...it depends...;) .
11 >>>
12 >>> When the whole compilation has finished and the system boots it
13 >>> needs to be transfered to the SSD.
14 >>>
15 >>> The SSD has a heat spreader...so it gets hot, when used.
16 >>>
17 >>> Is it wise to copy the whole root system to the SSD in one go
18 >>> in respect to a not so healthy heat increase?
19 >>>
20 >>> And if not...how can I copy the root system in portions
21 >>> to the SSD and do not miss anything?
22 >>>
23 >>> Are there SDD-friendly and SSD-unfriendlu methods of copying
24 >>> greater chunks of data to a SSD (rsync, tar-pipe, cp....)?
25 >>> What is recommended here?
26 >>>
27 >>> Thanks a lot for any help for a SSD newbie in advance!
28 >>>
29 >>> Cheers! And stay heathy!
30 >>> Meino
31 >>>
32 >> Just my 2 cents...
33 >>
34 >> If the SSD cannot survive having data copied to it there's something
35 >> seriously wrong with the drive. I don't think you should be overly worried
36 >> about this but I do understand it's new technology so you want to be
37 >> careful. Bravo for that.
38 >>
39 >> Possibly to ease your concerns a little bit use smartctl -a /dev/SSD and
40 >> get to know your drive that way. You can most likely watch the drive temp
41 >> as recorded by the drive.
42 >>
43 >> Best wishes,
44 >> Mark
45 > Hi Mark,
46 >
47 > Yes, if a SSD could not survive writes, something is wrong with the
48 > SSD. But that was not my point.
49 > Copying about 100GB (roughly guessed) data in one go to the SSD is a
50 > use case, which is not common. And therefore possibly not taken into
51 > account by the company, which create that SSD.
52 > SSDs can create noticeable heat (mine has a minimalistic heat
53 > spreader therefore. Faster SSDs come with a substancial heatspreader).
54 >
55 > Smartctl will report problems when they are already there.
56 > I want to prevent problems beforehand.
57 >
58 > So -- does copying about 100 GB creates so much heat in the sillicone
59 > of the SSD, that it ages more than preferred?
60 >
61 > And if so, how can I prevent it by appluing other techniques to copy
62 > the data?
63 > See additional questions in my initial posting for that.
64 >
65 > Thanks a lot for any helpful advice in advance!
66 > Cheers!
67 > Meino
70 If you are using rsync or cp -u you could start the copy then stop at it
71 certain points to let the SSD cool, then start it again.  It will
72 basically pick up where it left off.  You could monitor the temps while
73 doing that.  I use smartctrl and then grep temp on the end so I only get
74 the temp readings.  Something similar to this might help:
77 smartctl -a /dev/sdd | grep Temp
80 Another option, temporarily place a fan close to the drive to help cool
81 it.  Once you get everything copied, remove the fan and carry on.
82
83 Dale
84