From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying root to SSD in one go...a good idea...or?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 17:54:36
1 On 04/05 10:33, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:13 AM <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Hi,
5 > >
6 > > currentlu I am preparing a new Gentoo Linux by compiling all
7 > > the application I had on my old system.
8 > >
9 > > Due to delivery problems (corona) my SSD was delivered today
10 > > (or yesterday...it depends...;) .
11 > >
12 > > When the whole compilation has finished and the system boots it
13 > > needs to be transfered to the SSD.
14 > >
15 > > The SSD has a heat spreader...so it gets hot, when used.
16 > >
17 > > Is it wise to copy the whole root system to the SSD in one go
18 > > in respect to a not so healthy heat increase?
19 > >
20 > > And if not...how can I copy the root system in portions
21 > > to the SSD and do not miss anything?
22 > >
23 > > Are there SDD-friendly and SSD-unfriendlu methods of copying
24 > > greater chunks of data to a SSD (rsync, tar-pipe, cp....)?
25 > > What is recommended here?
26 > >
27 > > Thanks a lot for any help for a SSD newbie in advance!
28 > >
29 > > Cheers! And stay heathy!
30 > > Meino
33 > Just my 2 cents...
34 >
35 > If the SSD cannot survive having data copied to it there's something
36 > seriously wrong with the drive. I don't think you should be overly worried
37 > about this but I do understand it's new technology so you want to be
38 > careful. Bravo for that.
39 >
40 > Possibly to ease your concerns a little bit use smartctl -a /dev/SSD and
41 > get to know your drive that way. You can most likely watch the drive temp
42 > as recorded by the drive.
43 >
44 > Best wishes,
45 > Mark
46
47 Hi Mark,
48
49 Yes, if a SSD could not survive writes, something is wrong with the
50 SSD. But that was not my point.
51 Copying about 100GB (roughly guessed) data in one go to the SSD is a
52 use case, which is not common. And therefore possibly not taken into
53 account by the company, which create that SSD.
54 SSDs can create noticeable heat (mine has a minimalistic heat
55 spreader therefore. Faster SSDs come with a substancial heatspreader).
56
57 Smartctl will report problems when they are already there.
58 I want to prevent problems beforehand.
59
60 So -- does copying about 100 GB creates so much heat in the sillicone
61 of the SSD, that it ages more than preferred?
62
63 And if so, how can I prevent it by appluing other techniques to copy
64 the data?
65 See additional questions in my initial posting for that.
66
67 Thanks a lot for any helpful advice in advance!
68 Cheers!
69 Meino