From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Copying root to SSD in one go...a good idea...or?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2020 17:33:52
1 On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:13 AM <tuxic@××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > currentlu I am preparing a new Gentoo Linux by compiling all
6 > the application I had on my old system.
7 >
8 > Due to delivery problems (corona) my SSD was delivered today
9 > (or yesterday...it depends...;) .
10 >
11 > When the whole compilation has finished and the system boots it
12 > needs to be transfered to the SSD.
13 >
14 > The SSD has a heat spreader...so it gets hot, when used.
15 >
16 > Is it wise to copy the whole root system to the SSD in one go
17 > in respect to a not so healthy heat increase?
18 >
19 > And if not...how can I copy the root system in portions
20 > to the SSD and do not miss anything?
21 >
22 > Are there SDD-friendly and SSD-unfriendlu methods of copying
23 > greater chunks of data to a SSD (rsync, tar-pipe, cp....)?
24 > What is recommended here?
25 >
26 > Thanks a lot for any help for a SSD newbie in advance!
27 >
28 > Cheers! And stay heathy!
29 > Meino
32 Just my 2 cents...
33
34 If the SSD cannot survive having data copied to it there's something
35 seriously wrong with the drive. I don't think you should be overly worried
36 about this but I do understand it's new technology so you want to be
37 careful. Bravo for that.
38
39 Possibly to ease your concerns a little bit use smartctl -a /dev/SSD and
40 get to know your drive that way. You can most likely watch the drive temp
41 as recorded by the drive.
42
43 Best wishes,
44 Mark