From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting printer working, the road of Pain.
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2022 19:24:18
1 On Thursday, 8 September 2022 19:04:42 BST tastytea wrote:
2 > On 2022-09-08 12:52-0400 Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 > > […]
4 > >
5 > > Right now linux is so broken that the CUPS web interface will deny
6 > > all attempts to administer the printer and reject any password. The
7 > > config file is written in moonspeak, I just need the motherfucking
8 > > thing to say yes when I tell it to do a thing. I expect it to take
9 > > 2-3 days just to get over this hurdle.
10 >
11 > I solved this problem by replacing the contents of every <Location>
12 > block with:
13 >
14 > Order allow,deny
15 > Allow localhost
16 > Allow from fd69:0:0:0:*
17 > Allow from 192.168.69.*
18 >
19 > > How can people actually go around installing linux on people's
20 > > computers as if they were doing them a favor when it really is this
21 > > bad?
22 >
23 > It's not bad at all if you use a distribution with a better default
24 > configuration, pre-installed drivers and a pre-installed GUI for setting
25 > up the automatically detected printer in less than 5 clicks.
26 > Unless you have a printer from a shitty company, of course.
27
28 You'll need the right drivers for the printer you have. This page is a good
29 start for CUPS and usually it doesn't take long to connect to the printer and
30 start printing.
31
32 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Printing
33
34 Modern printers invariably offer their own http(s) web GUI for administration,
35 which may also need configuring, but just printing alone should be achievable
36 by using the guidance in the wiki above.