From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: extract an image from a .doc file?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:28:30
1 On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:25:51AM -0600, Penguin Lover Dale squawked:
2 > I'm somewhat clueless about this software issue but wonder about this way
3 > of seeing things. Since it appears there is a signature, as in what is at
4 > the bottom of a letter or a bank check, wouldn't they want to make it so
5 > that is not able to be extracted at all? If I had a digital signature, I
6 > wouldn't want to put it somewhere that it could be used by someone that I
7 > wouldn't want it to be used by.
8
9 What's to prevent me from printing it out and forging the signature by
10 hand? Or, god forbid, zooming in, taking a screen-cap, and using the
11 extracted image that way? If this design is *for security*, there are
12 many problems.
13
14 (Incidentally, Donald Knuth stopped sending out real cheques for bug
15 discovery because people would scan it, put it online for bragging
16 rights, and Knuth's bank account would get targeted for fraudulant
17 transactions.)
18
19 W
20 --
21 A lot of money is tainted. It taint yours and it taint mine.
22 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1102 days, 16:12