From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 02:08:56
1 On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 19:06 -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 22:03:20 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > >
5 > >> In case it helps, here's the relevant part of my fstab:
6 > >>
7 > >> /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noatime,noauto 1 2
8 > >> /dev/md3 / ext4 noatime 1 1
9 > >> /dev/vg1/home /home ext4 noatime
10 > >> 1 2
11 > > A word of advice when starting from scratch, give your VG(s) unique
12 > > names. I've seen what happens when someone takes a drive from
13 > > one Fedora system and puts it in another, so there are two VGs called
14 > > vg01. It ain't nice (only one is seen, usually not the one you want).
15 > >
16 > > I prefer to give my VGs names related to the hostname, so it's perfectly
17 > > clear where they came from and no risk of name collisions if I have to
18 > > attach the drive to another computer.
22 > I did name it pretty well. It is called "test" right now. lol Right
23 > now, I'm just having fun. The biggest difference so far is that I can
24 > see with my new glasses. I just wish I didn't have arthritis in my neck
25 > and could move my head better. It's hard to switch between normal and
26 > the bifocal thingys.
27
28 try multifocal - makes stairs ... fun.
31 > I'm getting this LVM thing down pat tho.
32 >
33 > cfdisk to create partitions, if not using the whole drive.
34 > pvcreate
35 > vgcreate
36 > lvcreate
37 > then put on a file system and mount.
38 >
39 > I still get them confused as to what comes first but I got some pictures
40 > to look at now. That helps to picture what I am doing, sort of.
41 >
42 > Thanks to all for the advice tho. It's helping. Still nervous about /
43 > on LVM tho. :/
44 >
45 > Dale
46 >
47 > :-) :-)
50 I'll second the recommendation about naming ... I use separate
51 partitions and lvm on everything except root (for recovery reasons) and
52 small single drive systems ... been a real saver when partitions fill up
53 or when a system is re-purposed and you have to change the storage
54 profile . Make sure every lvm you use is uniquely named ... I am just
55 going through retrieving drives from two older (both lvm) systems and
56 pushing them into a single storage (and everything else) sever, also
57 lvm.
58
59 Make sure if you remove a drive and dont intend using it immediately,
60 delete the lvm data to prevent future grief ... it can happen at home as
61 well as in data centres :)
62
63 BillK