From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 11:45:59
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2011-09-16 at 19:06 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >> I did name it pretty well. It is called "test" right now. lol Right
5 >> now, I'm just having fun. The biggest difference so far is that I can
6 >> see with my new glasses. I just wish I didn't have arthritis in my
7 >> neck and could move my head better. It's hard to switch between
8 >> normal and the bifocal thingys.
9 > try multifocal - makes stairs ... fun.
10
11 It was night time and I was walking. I decided to walk through the
12 garden which means crossing the ditch. Let's just say that first step
13 was fun. When I looked at the ground, I was looking through the reading
14 part. I found out it was deeper than my eyes said.
17 >> I'm getting this LVM thing down pat tho.
18 >>
19 >> cfdisk to create partitions, if not using the whole drive.
20 >> pvcreate
21 >> vgcreate
22 >> lvcreate
23 >> then put on a file system and mount.
24 >>
25 >> I still get them confused as to what comes first but I got some pictures
26 >> to look at now. That helps to picture what I am doing, sort of.
27 >>
28 >> Thanks to all for the advice tho. It's helping. Still nervous about /
29 >> on LVM tho. :/
30 >>
31 >> Dale
32 >>
33 >> :-) :-)
34 >>
35 > I'll second the recommendation about naming ... I use separate
36 > partitions and lvm on everything except root (for recovery reasons) and
37 > small single drive systems ... been a real saver when partitions fill up
38 > or when a system is re-purposed and you have to change the storage
39 > profile . Make sure every lvm you use is uniquely named ... I am just
40 > going through retrieving drives from two older (both lvm) systems and
41 > pushing them into a single storage (and everything else) sever, also
42 > lvm.
43 >
44 > Make sure if you remove a drive and dont intend using it immediately,
45 > delete the lvm data to prevent future grief ... it can happen at home as
46 > well as in data centres :)
47 >
48 > BillK
51 Should I include the drive itself? Like sda, sdb etc. I could use my
52 system name too. I'm on fireball and my older rig is named smoker. See
53 a trend here? lol Anyway, this could work:
54
55 fireball-sda
56 fireball-sdb
57 fireball-sdc
58
59 That would keep things straight I would think. Thoughts?
60
61 If I do move one tho, I would likely erase the LVM stuff anyway. This
62 rig is amd64 and my old rig is x86. It's not like I can move one to the
63 other. Plus, smoker is IDE and fireball is SATA. I do have one IDE
64 connector in fireball and a SATA card in smoker tho. It could happen.
65
66 Jeepers, this could turn into a full blown meeting of the minds. O_O
67
68 Dale
69