From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: extract an image from a .doc file?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:22:06
1 On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 06:46, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > A .doc file contains an image. Is there any way to extract the image file in
5 > its original format, please?
6 >
7 > This may seem like a bit of an odd request, so I'll explain. The .doc file
8 > is quite large, and it seems like the image it contains must be to blame. I
9 > would like to extract the original file of the image and examine it. I have
10 > tried in OpenOffice on Windows and Word for Mac. In OpenOffice I can't see
11 > any way to save the image file, in Word for Mac I can drag the file to the
12 > desktop but it becomes a "Picture clipping.pictClipping" and is clearly not
13 > the original format.
14 >
15 > I tried running `photorec` on the .doc file, but that just "finds" the .doc
16 > file itself. I thought to use dd to zero over the first few bytes of the
17 > .doc - maybe this would make the .doc unrecognisable to photorec, and then
18 > photorec would maybe find the image file inside the corrupt document, but I
19 > haven't tried that yet. I'm not sure if it'd work, and so I thought I'd ask
20 > here to see if anyone knew of an easy way to do this first.
21 >
22 > TIA for any suggestions,
25 When I want to extract an image from a doc I save it as HTML. It saves
26 images in a separated folder and links it into the HTML. I simply go
27 to the folder and check the image.
28
29 Hope it helps.
32 Daniel da Veiga