From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compiling first and then installing using -K
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 23:49:32
1 On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 6:31 PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 18/02/2020 01:21, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 6:00 PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> Hm. I'm too chicken to try it because I'm not sure it does what I think
6 > >> it does, but does the "--ephemeral" option pretty much do *exactly* what
7 > >> Dale was asking about? Can you start your current "/" as a container
8 > >> as-is, emerge packages in it and save them as binaries, then install
9 > >> those from the outside, then shutdown the container and all is forgotten?
10 > >
11 > > Obvious way to test this would be to just set up a VM. It has the
12 > > obvious advantage of always being in-sync with your host config.
13 > >
14 > > I think I might actually try playing around with this. I'm on zfs
15 > > though so I'm not sure how it will perform.
16 >
17 > I just tested it in a throw-away Ubuntu VM running on ext4. It crashed
18 > and burned due to disk space. It tried to duplicate the whole "/" with
19 > zero error checks. So free space reached 0 but it still didn't abort. I
20 > had to abort with ctrl+c. Free space was then 200MB (out of 20GB). I did
21 > "du -sh /*" to find where all the GBs went, but it doesn't find it.
24 Hmm, if it just resorted to doing a cp it might have tried to copy the
25 copy, or if it was really brain-dead it might not have limited itself
26 to the root filesystem. Granted, the necessary files might not all be
27 on one filesystem to begin with, but it would obviously have to avoid
28 copying /proc and so on. I mean, it might have trouble with:
29 -r-------- 1 root root 128T Feb 11 14:31 /proc/kcore
32 Rich