From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Compiling first and then installing using -K
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 23:31:51
1 On 18/02/2020 01:21, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 6:00 PM Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Hm. I'm too chicken to try it because I'm not sure it does what I think
4 >> it does, but does the "--ephemeral" option pretty much do *exactly* what
5 >> Dale was asking about? Can you start your current "/" as a container
6 >> as-is, emerge packages in it and save them as binaries, then install
7 >> those from the outside, then shutdown the container and all is forgotten?
8 >
9 > Obvious way to test this would be to just set up a VM. It has the
10 > obvious advantage of always being in-sync with your host config.
11 >
12 > I think I might actually try playing around with this. I'm on zfs
13 > though so I'm not sure how it will perform.
14
15 I just tested it in a throw-away Ubuntu VM running on ext4. It crashed
16 and burned due to disk space. It tried to duplicate the whole "/" with
17 zero error checks. So free space reached 0 but it still didn't abort. I
18 had to abort with ctrl+c. Free space was then 200MB (out of 20GB). I did
19 "du -sh /*" to find where all the GBs went, but it doesn't find it.
20
21 So... yeah. Not very convincing implementation. Don't try it at home,
22 kids :-P