From: Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something went wrong with DNS, plz help!
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 19:27:20
1 2014-07-26 21:38 GMT+03:00 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>:
2 > On Saturday 26 Jul 2014 17:47:51 Grand Duet wrote:
3 >> 2014-07-26 19:27 GMT+03:00 Jc García <jyo.garcia@×××××.com>:
4 >> > 2014-07-26 10:22 GMT-06:00 Grand Duet <grand.duet@×××××.com>:
5 >> > etc/resolv.conf ?
6 >> >
7 >> >> I guess, no.
8 >> >>
9 >> >>> if not, append some known dns to that file this way:
10 >> >>> nameserver 8.8.8.8
11 >> >>> nameserver 8.8.4.4
12 >> >>
13 >> >> This does not help as /etc/resolv.conf is overwritten on every reboot.
14 >> >> Creating /etc/resolv.conf.tail also did not help.
15 >> >>
16 >> >>> verify connection to your gateway and internet with ping.
17 >> >>
18 >> >> It is ok. I am writing from the same subnet.
19 >> >
20 >> > That was just the trouble-shooting part, I use /etc/resolv.conf.head
21 >> > as my permanent solution to dns nameservers setting on my desktop(see
22 >> > my previous mail).
23 >>
24 >> Moving my /etc/resolv.conf.tail with nameservers IPs to
25 >> /etc/resolv.conf.head changed nothing on reboot.
26 >
27 > Have you checked that:
28 >
29 > udev has not changed the name of your NIC and if it has,
30 > that your symlinks in /etc/init.d are correct.
31 >
32 > Similarly, interface names are correct in your /etc/conf.d/net.
33 >
34 > The syntax in /etc/conf.d/net is in line with /usr/share/doc/netifrc-
35 > */net.example.bz2
36 >
37 > If all of the above are as they should be, then I'm running out of ideas.
38
39 I am also.
40
41 After having a break, I decided to manually edit /etc/resolv.conf and then
42 chmod it to be unoverwrittable. But I had no chance to check this solution:
43 after booting my Gentoo computer once again, I have found out that now
44 /etc/resolv.conf was created *with* DNS servers IPs, and everything works
45 fine.
46
47 But it is *very* strange as I have *not* changed anything after my
48 previous reboot.
49 Absolutely.
50
51 Have I discovered a new Windows-like fix for a Gentoo system that can be called
52 "Just reboot it several times"?