From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 21:32:10
1 On Tuesday, 13. September 2011 17:10:40 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com>
4 wrote:
5 > >> Want to change the direction of the distro? You know what needs to be
6 > >> done.>
7 > > Be more specific. It sounds like there are a lot of people in here who
8 > > want to change the direction of the distro.
9 >
10 > Sorry: I said it a lot of times before in the other thread, so I
11 > thought it was clear.
12 >
13 > > Is it simply subscribing to -dev and voicing the conversation there?
14 >
15 > Of course not. But please, do that if you think it will help to steer
16 > Gentoo to whatever direction do you think is the correct one.
17 > Personaly I don't think the devs (who, AFAIK, do not receive a single
18 > dime for working on Gentoo) will appreciate anybody telling them how
19 > they should do their jobs, the one they do for free. But that's just
20 > me.
21
22 As you well know, not all of "our" devs are in favour of this idea.
23 To quote one of them (vapier)
24
25 "brain dead behavior in other packages has no bearing on openrc. openrc will
26 never require crap like initramfs simply to boot.
27 -mike"
28
29 And in a later mail:
30
31 "...if there is something in openrc that doesnt
32 work with a split /usr or /var, then file a bug because it is a bug..."
33
34 > No, by "you know what needs to be done" I mean: code. Contribute.
35 > Become a developer. Make shit happens the way you think it should
36 > happen.
37 > Shut up and code. Google it, I didn't come with the phrase.
38
39 There are already devs on "our" side. Fortunatly one of them maintains openrc
40 :)
41
42 > Regards.
43