From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL Upgrade
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 20:32:18
1 Jeff Smelser wrote:
2
3 > Well, then you would be more interested in mysqlhotcopy.. That pretty much
4 > does what your doing..
5 >
6 > Mysql INC has yet to make a real backup/restore procedure for mysql. So
7 > mysqldump or mysqlhotcopy is pretty much it. If you use innodb, I would go
8 > after ibbackup. (not free).
9 >
10 > I have been on a few developers about it, just doesnt seem high priority to
11 > them. (or I am not talking to the right ones).
12
13 Because once you start caring about your db that much it's usually
14 easier to setup a crap box that replicates off your master. Then you can
15 lock the whole db on your slave and do a mysqldump without causing
16 issues on your main db regardless of which table type you're using. You
17 also get the added benefit of a hot backup and no I/O hits on the main db.
18
19 I'm managing five fairly busy Mysql servers so my tactics might not be
20 those of the average user making the above a bit of overkill. I was very
21 excited about Mysql's instance manager. However if your database has
22 known periods of time when it isn't being used, ie you're using it as an
23 Access replacement. Lock the tables, do the dump, free the tables, and
24 save your cash for flaming Tiki drinks.
25
26 kashani
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list