From: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL Upgrade
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:39:51
1 On Wednesday 02 November 2005 12:52 pm, C. Beamer wrote:
2
3 > Up until now, what I needed to do in MySQL, I could do just fine and
4 > never even knew about mysqldump until recently. As I previously stated,
5 > I've only been using Gentoo since September. When I used to use FC4,
6 > all I ever did was make a copy of the database files that had the
7 > extensions of .MYI, .MYD and .frm and then when I needed to because of
8 > an upgrade where I wiped my system, I would just create a directory in
9 > the appropriate place that was named after the database and then copy
10 > these files back into the directory. Then, all I would have to do was
11 > set up the appropriate permissions for access and I could use the
12 > database. This is how I did it to get the database into Gentoo
13 > originally as well.
14
15 Well, this works for myisam, and few other, but not innodb.. Obviously you
16 dont have it then..
17
18 > This works and is not a big deal. As I said, I'm just curious if there
19 > is a way to fix things so that my database will be backed up properly
20 > with the mysqldump process that is run when upgrading. As I also
21 > stated, I haven't had the chance to try dumping the existing database
22 > alone using mysqldump.
23
24 Well, then you would be more interested in mysqlhotcopy.. That pretty much
25 does what your doing..
26
27 Mysql INC has yet to make a real backup/restore procedure for mysql. So
28 mysqldump or mysqlhotcopy is pretty much it. If you use innodb, I would go
29 after ibbackup. (not free).
30
31 I have been on a few developers about it, just doesnt seem high priority to
32 them. (or I am not talking to the right ones).
33
34 Jeff