From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to resume 'emerge -e @world' after grub fails?
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 09:21:20
1 On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 04:06:52 +0100, David Haller wrote:
2
3 > # wc -l /var/lib/portage/world
4 > 1140 /var/lib/portage/world
5 >
6 > Am I doing something wrong? Looking it over, it looks right though.
7
8 It sounds a lot, but only you know what you need. For comparison I have
9 217 packages in world plus about another 70 in some sets, under 300 in
10 total on a fairly busy KDE box.
11
12 Look through your world file, it should contain only packages that you use
13 directly. grep lib /var/lib/portage/world should return very little.
14
15 > And --depclean is hopelessly overeager here.
16 >
17 > ====
18 > Packages installed: 3511
19 > Packages in world: 1140
20 > Packages in system: 43
21 > Required packages: 2581
22 > Number to remove: 930
23
24 I think you need to clean that up first, although it may be that things
25 are bad enough to warrant renaming the world file then doing emerge -n
26 for each package you need. Then run depclean -p and look for anything
27 else you need, add it with emerge -n, rinse and repeat until nothing you
28 use directly appears in the depclean output.
29
30 A quickpkg of the entire system before you start may be wise.
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit
37 the target.