From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing windows on second drive
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 23:53:49
2 > iirc (and I'm about to do it again), Windows just makes itself default,
3 > and sets boot timeout to 0.
4 >
5 > So no I wouldn't bother modifying grub - just set the EFI timeout to,
6 > say, 5 secs. You then choose between Windows and grub, and then let grub
7 > sort out the linux side for you.
10 Ok, will do.
13 > I notice you're using a second drive, though. At least linux is on drive
14 > 0, with a decent EFI partition. I had another system with linux on drive
15 > 1. Windows made the EFI partition on drive 0 tiny, and I never worked
16 > out how to chain the two EFI partitions together. Couldn't put grub on
17 > drive 0, the partition was too small.
20 Actually the free drive is nvme0n1... I was running out of space on that
21 device so added nvme1n1 and moved Gentoo to that drive. On nvme1n1
22 partition 1 is 1gig for both EFI and /boot (with a minimal .iso available
23 via grub as a rescue option if needed).
24
25 With regards to windows making a tiny EFI partition on drive 0, i dont
26 think I understand the issue. I'm thinking I can either;
27 1. Use the EFI boot loader to choose between Windows and Linux, as you
28 mention above, with the small downside of having two boot loaders/timeouts,
29 or
30 2. Use EFI to default to grub on the second drive with a very short timer
31 (so its like its not even there) and put an entry for Windows in the grub
32 config
33
34 I will probably try #1 first, then update the grub config to boot windows
35 and confirm that works, then change to #2.
36
37 Let me know if i'm misunderstanding anything.
38
39 Thanks!