From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing windows on second drive
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 07:40:49
1 On 10/04/2022 01:30, Miles Malone wrote:
2 > That is correct, yeah. Wouldnt do you any harm to backup your ESP
3 > beforehand, though it's unlikely to be more than a precaution
4 >
5 > On Sun, 10 Apr 2022 at 10:13, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> I'm assuming that windows will modify the EFI configuration and i will need to boot, say, a minimal cd image to run efibootmgr to set it back, then add a Windows entry to the grub config.
8 >>
9 >> Is that correct? Anything else i should be concerned about?
10 >
11 iirc (and I'm about to do it again), Windows just makes itself default,
12 and sets boot timeout to 0.
13
14 So no I wouldn't bother modifying grub - just set the EFI timeout to,
15 say, 5 secs. You then choose between Windows and grub, and then let grub
16 sort out the linux side for you.
17
18 I notice you're using a second drive, though. At least linux is on drive
19 0, with a decent EFI partition. I had another system with linux on drive
20 1. Windows made the EFI partition on drive 0 tiny, and I never worked
21 out how to chain the two EFI partitions together. Couldn't put grub on
22 drive 0, the partition was too small.
23
24 So, yes. In theory it's easy. In practice...?
25
26 Cheers,
27 Wol