From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Digest of gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org issue 1422 (76278-76327)
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:26:07
1 On Monday 3 March 2008, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > I didn't mean to be picky about your translation, so my apologies for
4 > that. And thank you to Uwe for pointing that out - I didn't intend to
5 > be taken that way, I just wanted to have a little rant about one of
6 > my (least) favourite words.
7
8 No offense at all. Instead, I was genuinely interested in finding out
9 whether I was missing something.
10
11 > Issue kinda doesn't mean any of these things - neither "nuisance" nor
12 > "minor problem" nor "real problem". It's a way of _avoiding_ saying
13 > any of these things at all.
14 >
15 > The dictionary I have on this computer is the New Oxford American
16 > one, and it basically says:
17 >
18 > issue, noun
19 > 1 an important topic for debate or discussion : the issue of
20 > global warming | money is not an issue
21 >
22 > This dictionary goes on to observe the "he has issues" usage, but
23 > really this is just the same (fairly recent) euphemism.
24 >
25 > The best way (IMO) to perceive the word "issue" is the global warming
26 > one or the couple who are "going to marriage counselling because they
27 > have issues (to talk about)". In the former case it's a matter of
28 > public debate, in which everyone has a view and in which people are
29 > entitled to opposite views; in the latter case there are likewise two
30 > ways to see the situation and the solution will be found through
31 > discussion and compromise. An "issue" is a two-way street, in which
32 > opinions go both ways.
33
34 Thanks. This covers and goes well beyond the simple meaning of "matter,
35 subject" that I was assigning to the word.
36
37 > The use of the word "issue" within technical support is wide, and so
38 > you'd never lose marks for using it in a translation as you have; I
39 > suppose I must admit that - with the evolution of language - the word
40 > has perhaps become a synonym for "problem". But this usage is a bit
41 > of co-optation - one doesn't like to admit one's software has
42 > problems, so one uses the word "issue" instead. "Problem" sounds so
43 > negative, an "issue" is just something to be worked through.
44
45 I usually like to call a spade a spade (I think this is the english idiom
46 for the concept), so "problem" is perfectly fine for me in these cases.
47 Moreover, I'm the first to admit my faults, so if something I did or
48 wrote does not work, I have no problem (pardon the pun) in saying that
49 it has a problem unlike, as you point out, some companies or technical
50 support departments (but it seems to me that the same holds for many
51 politicians, managers, etc.).
52
53 > As I say, my objection to this usage stems from one company whose
54 > staff were prohibited from the use of the word "problem". But
55 > technical support problems are frequently NOT a two-way street, and
56 > they're not something for discussion & compromise the way your
57 > spouse's habits might be. If I've bought software from you and it
58 > crashes every time I press print it truly IS a problem, and use of
59 > the word "issue" to describe this is, IMO, weasly.
60
61 Yes, I guess it may be called an euphemism (usually coupled with some
62 amount of hypocrisy, in my modest experience).
63
64 > I hope this helps to explain this fairly obscure entomology. I don't
65 > pretend to be a definitive source (I'm not a dictionary), and mine is
66 > perhaps a bit of a minority opinion. But as a non-native speaker I
67 > guess you may be interested in why I said what I did, so hopefully
68 > this clarifies.
69
70 Surely I was interested, and I thank you for your detailed explanation.
71 You cleared all my issues! :-)
72 --
73 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list