From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Digest of gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org issue 1422 (76278-76327)
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:15:02
1 On 3 Mar 2008, at 15:17, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2
3 > On Monday 3 March 2008, Stroller wrote:
4 >> On 3 Mar 2008, at 09:57, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
5 >>> On Monday 3 March 2008, Jan Seeger wrote:
6 >>>> NOTE: I don't speak spanish. But somehow, I read it thusly:
7 >>>> On Mon, 03. Mar, mvidela@××××××××.ar spammed my inbox with
8 >>>>
9 >>>>> todos los temas relacionados con soporte técnico
10 >>>>
11 >>>> all technical support requests (relations?)
12 >>>
13 >>> all technical support-related issues
14 >>>
15 >>> Ok, not that it changes much... :-)
16 >>
17 >> Noooo! It changes EVERYTHING!!
18 >>
19 >> "Issue" is word to describe an individual periodical in a series of
20 >> publications, and is a weasel-word when it's used as a synonym for
21 >> "problem".
22 >
23 > Ok. Literally, the word "tema" (pl. temas) would mean "subject, theme,
24 > topic, matter". The degree of "problematic-ness" intended by whoever
25 > wrote "temas" can't of course be deduced, but only guessed.
26 > In my interpretation, I took "todos los temas relacionados con soporte
27 > técnico" as meaning "anything related to technical support", so issue
28 > seemed an acceptable translation (where "issues" include "problems" as
29 > well, of course).
30
31 Hi Etaoin,
32
33 I didn't mean to be picky about your translation, so my apologies for
34 that. And thank you to Uwe for pointing that out - I didn't intend to
35 be taken that way, I just wanted to have a little rant about one of
36 my (least) favourite words.
37
38 However you can also say in English "all matters relating to
39 technical support".
42 >> Clearly if your computer isn't booting it's a PROBLEM, not merely an
43 >> "issue", so we can tell that the author of the email is engaged in
44 >> the sort of environment where weasel-words are employed.
45 >>
46 >> I have dealt with such technical support departments in the past - I
47 >> knew of one at which the management insisted that staff were not
48 >> allowed to describe a dead PC as a problem because that "sounds too
49 >> downbeat". Such scenarios were to be passed off to the customer as
50 >> merely "an issue" ("however seriously we're addressing your issue,
51 >> sir"), rather than the disaster it actually was.
52 >>
53 >> </pet peeve>
54 >
55 > Agreed. I know that kind of environment.
56 >
57 > So, are you saying that "issue" means "nuisance" or "minor problem"
58 > rather than "real problem", and using the word to mean "problem" is
59 > incorrect? Or you just hate it when they say "issue" when they really
60 > should say "disaster" (in this case, I totally agree with you)?
61
62 Issue kinda doesn't mean any of these things - neither "nuisance" nor
63 "minor problem" nor "real problem". It's a way of _avoiding_ saying
64 any of these things at all.
65
66 The dictionary I have on this computer is the New Oxford American
67 one, and it basically says:
68
69 issue, noun
70 1 an important topic for debate or discussion : the issue of
71 global warming | money is not an issue
72
73 This dictionary goes on to observe the "he has issues" usage, but
74 really this is just the same (fairly recent) euphemism.
75
76 The best way (IMO) to perceive the word "issue" is the global warming
77 one or the couple who are "going to marriage counselling because they
78 have issues (to talk about)". In the former case it's a matter of
79 public debate, in which everyone has a view and in which people are
80 entitled to opposite views; in the latter case there are likewise two
81 ways to see the situation and the solution will be found through
82 discussion and compromise. An "issue" is a two-way street, in which
83 opinions go both ways.
84
85 The use of the word "issue" within technical support is wide, and so
86 you'd never lose marks for using it in a translation as you have; I
87 suppose I must admit that - with the evolution of language - the word
88 has perhaps become a synonym for "problem". But this usage is a bit
89 of co-optation - one doesn't like to admit one's software has
90 problems, so one uses the word "issue" instead. "Problem" sounds so
91 negative, an "issue" is just something to be worked through.
92
93 As I say, my objection to this usage stems from one company whose
94 staff were prohibited from the use of the word "problem". But
95 technical support problems are frequently NOT a two-way street, and
96 they're not something for discussion & compromise the way your
97 spouse's habits might be. If I've bought software from you and it
98 crashes every time I press print it truly IS a problem, and use of
99 the word "issue" to describe this is, IMO, weasly.
100
101 I hope this helps to explain this fairly obscure entomology. I don't
102 pretend to be a definitive source (I'm not a dictionary), and mine is
103 perhaps a bit of a minority opinion. But as a non-native speaker I
104 guess you may be interested in why I said what I did, so hopefully
105 this clarifies.
106
107 Stroller.
108 --