From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Digest of gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org issue 1422 (76278-76327)
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 15:07:23
1 On Monday 3 March 2008, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 3 Mar 2008, at 09:57, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
3 > > On Monday 3 March 2008, Jan Seeger wrote:
4 > >> NOTE: I don't speak spanish. But somehow, I read it thusly:
5 > >> On Mon, 03. Mar, mvidela@××××××××.ar spammed my inbox with
6 > >>
7 > >>> todos los temas relacionados con soporte técnico
8 > >>
9 > >> all technical support requests (relations?)
10 > >
11 > > all technical support-related issues
12 > >
13 > > Ok, not that it changes much... :-)
14 >
15 > Noooo! It changes EVERYTHING!!
16 >
17 > "Issue" is word to describe an individual periodical in a series of
18 > publications, and is a weasel-word when it's used as a synonym for
19 > "problem".
20
21 Ok. Literally, the word "tema" (pl. temas) would mean "subject, theme,
22 topic, matter". The degree of "problematic-ness" intended by whoever
23 wrote "temas" can't of course be deduced, but only guessed.
24 In my interpretation, I took "todos los temas relacionados con soporte
25 técnico" as meaning "anything related to technical support", so issue
26 seemed an acceptable translation (where "issues" include "problems" as
27 well, of course).
28 Also, I've seen many times "if you have issues, call 123456-789". In my
29 understanding, no doubt I'll call that technical support number if I
30 have issues, faults or problems (however serious they may be).
31 But english is not my native language, so I could very well be mistaken
32 in my understanding.
33
34 > Clearly if your computer isn't booting it's a PROBLEM, not merely an
35 > "issue", so we can tell that the author of the email is engaged in
36 > the sort of environment where weasel-words are employed.
37 >
38 > I have dealt with such technical support departments in the past - I
39 > knew of one at which the management insisted that staff were not
40 > allowed to describe a dead PC as a problem because that "sounds too
41 > downbeat". Such scenarios were to be passed off to the customer as
42 > merely "an issue" ("however seriously we're addressing your issue,
43 > sir"), rather than the disaster it actually was.
44 >
45 > </pet peeve>
46
47 Agreed. I know that kind of environment.
48
49 So, are you saying that "issue" means "nuisance" or "minor problem"
50 rather than "real problem", and using the word to mean "problem" is
51 incorrect? Or you just hate it when they say "issue" when they really
52 should say "disaster" (in this case, I totally agree with you)?
53 --
54 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list