From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Here is an amazing thing re OpenOffice:
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 02:48:54
1 On 9/7/05, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I am using gentoo because I want to be able to compile the latest and
4 > greatest.
5 > How odd it is that I can only find OpenOffice 1.1.4, where the FedoraCore
6 > machines at my school have had OpenOffice 2.0 all (Summer) term.
7 >
8 > I've not done a lot with masked versions, but I do have universe,
9 > multiverse and
10 > backports. I see no signs of 2.0.
11 >
12 > How can this be, gen-too-ers? Surely, I'm missing something. What did I
13 > mess up?
14 >
15 > --
16 > Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
19 Actually your Fedora boxes weren't running 2.0 they where running 1.9 which
20 is the beta for 2.0. If you want to run that on Gentoo you need to add
21 `app-office/openoffice-bin` to your /etc/portage/package.unmask and
22 `app-office/openoffice-bin ~x86` to your /etc/portage/package.keywords file
23 then emerge openoffice-bin. You didn't miss a thing, its just hard masked
24 development. because it's not stable and it does crash often enough but its
25 well worth the install.
26
27 Also as far as I know there is no such thing as universe, multiverse, and
28 backports gor Gentoo. In any case good luck getting it running, once you get
29 it unmasked its just as easy as the "real deal" (if you will).
30
31 -Mike
35 Michael E. Crute
36 Software Developer
37 SoftGroup Development Corporation
38
39 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
40 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"