From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't login from terminal?
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 07:12:01
1 On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 13:15:12 +0800
2 Chuanwen Wu <wcw8410@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Could you please give more details? How to change it to something
5 > default?
6
7 Well, that's pretty much the basics...
8 Shells for each system user are defined in /etc/passwd, which should be
9 edited by 'vipw' command.
10
11 What I've meant is the case, when you, or something else changed
12 '/etc/passwd', replacing '/bin/bash' with something like
13 '/sbin/nologin' or some other path, which is not a valid shell.
14
15 Actually, ssh shouldn't work with invalid shell like that as well, but
16 one, for example, can add some commands to ".bashrc" which will work
17 only in ssh environment (using some env vars, set by ssh, for example).
18
19 Then, there might be some ssh-only shell, so I'd suggest to set shell
20 to '/bin/sh' (which is actually bash, for gentoo) and disable all the
21 configs it's using, like '~/.bashrc' or '/etc/bashrc' (see 'man bash',
22 for full list).
23 Also, Neil has made a good point that there might be something
24 in /etc/profile, which is usually sourced by all bash-like shells.
27 > I have checked the /var/log/faillog, which I'm not sure whether it's
28 > the right log file, and seems it only contain binary data(I read it
29 > from "vi /var/log/faillog").
30
31 Syslog usually uses '/var/log/messages' as a collector for everything
32 that is being sent to it, so I'd check that file first. And make sure
33 the timestamps there are recent - it should mean that syslog is writing
34 to it and is not dead.
35 'dmesg' command is usually a good source for failure messages too, but
36 only on kernel level (when something really nasty happens). There might
37 be some segfaults, produced by your shell, and usually indicate
38 programming or compilation errors.
41 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net