From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:15:15
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 05 February 2009 09:28:50 Jesús Guerrero wrote:
3 >> There are enough easy-to-use distros. Let us, "masochists", live in
4 >> peace. We love pain, why do people care so much about what we do
5 >> with our privacy? :P [it's a joke, in case anyone didn't notice]
6 >>
7 >> There have been several attempts to make a decent installer. They
8 >> all failed miserably and got abandoned. Why? Because to tell the
9 >> truth, no one has an authentic interest in the matter. The simple
10 >> answer is most probably the right one.
11 >
12 > To add to you (excellent) arguments:
13 >
14 > There is no GUI admin tool for gentoo. You drive this puppy on the command
15 > line with tools like emerge, equery, genlop, layman and q. That's how it
16 > works, we are all comfortable with this, and this is good.
17
18 We are all comfortable with this because the people who are not
19 comfortable left.
22 > I can't think of a single reason why the installer should operate in a
23 > different manner to the way the thing will be used.
24
25 Because installation is boring. The easier it is, the better.