From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Misconfigured system
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 03:47:08
1 On 12/21/06, Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 21/12/06, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I'm beginning to think my system configuration is a mess. It started with
4 > > worrying about Postfix, but has quickly escalated.
5 > >
6 > > I was trying to figure out what Postfix knows and where it knows it when
7 > > I found that I seem to have no domain name. That is, the shell command
8 > > domainname(1) returns "(none)". This seems odd, because I've got
9 > > it set up as nearly as I can see according to gentoo docs
10 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=8#doc_chap2
11 > > since my /etc/conf.d/net contains (among other things)
12 > > dns_domain="kosmanor.com"
13 > > BTW: it also says to set dns_domain_lo, but I have no name for my
14 > > internal network, and
15 > > haven't seen a reason to create one.
16 > >
17 > > Nevertheless, even the system calls getdomainname(2) and uname(2) return the
18 > > string "(none)".
19 > >
20 > > What am I missing?
23 > That's because the command domainname and the systemcalls
24 > getdomainname(2) are return the NIS domainname, not the IP domainname.
25 > uname(2) returns the domainname of the machine the kernel was compiled
26 > on, at the time when it was compiled. To find the tcp/ip domain name
27 > of a system, use hostname(1).
28 >
29 > Yes, it is daft - but, that's what happens when an OS acquires a
30 > history, I suppose
31
32 Thanks, but that won't get me an IP domainname, because all that is there
33 is the name of the node. Should I change that in /etc/conf.d/net???
34
35 ++ kevin
38 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
39 --