From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Misconfigured system
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 20:07:19
1 On 21/12/06, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm beginning to think my system configuration is a mess. It started with
3 > worrying about Postfix, but has quickly escalated.
4 >
5 > I was trying to figure out what Postfix knows and where it knows it when
6 > I found that I seem to have no domain name. That is, the shell command
7 > domainname(1) returns "(none)". This seems odd, because I've got
8 > it set up as nearly as I can see according to gentoo docs
9 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=8#doc_chap2
10 > since my /etc/conf.d/net contains (among other things)
11 > dns_domain="kosmanor.com"
12 > BTW: it also says to set dns_domain_lo, but I have no name for my
13 > internal network, and
14 > haven't seen a reason to create one.
15 >
16 > Nevertheless, even the system calls getdomainname(2) and uname(2) return the
17 > string "(none)".
18 >
19 > What am I missing?
22 That's because the command domainname and the systemcalls
23 getdomainname(2) are return the NIS domainname, not the IP domainname.
24 uname(2) returns the domainname of the machine the kernel was compiled
25 on, at the time when it was compiled. To find the tcp/ip domain name
26 of a system, use hostname(1).
27
28 Yes, it is daft - but, that's what happens when an OS acquires a
29 history, I suppose
30
31 Jeff.
32 --