From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changed monitor and even the BIOS screen doesn't show up.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 05:16:54
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-12-14 06:04]:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > >meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > >>Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-12-14 05:04]:
5 > >>>Hi,
6 > >>>
7 > >>>I am in the process of switching from the old rig to the new rig.
8 > >>>While doing the install I was using a Gateway EV700 monitor and it
9 > >>>worked fine. I unhooked the cables from my old rig and moved in the
10 > >>>new rig. The new monitor is a Gateway EV910. When I boot with the
11 > >>>Gateway EV910 hooked up, it doesn't even come out of power saver
12 > >>>mode
13 > >>>or show the BIOS screen that pops up when I first turn the puter on.
14 > >>>It does work with the one I used to install with, EV700. So, I know
15 > >>>the card didn't mess up in the switch.
16 > >>>
17 > >>>Since it doesn't even work with the BIOS screen, this is not a OS
18 > >>>issue. Is there some setting I have to change to be able to change
19 > >>>monitors or am I just going nuts here? What is it about hooking up
20 > >>>a
21 > >>>different monitor that makes it not work? Both monitors support
22 > >>>the
23 > >>>same resolutions and I have switched these before with my old rig
24 > >>>and
25 > >>>not a single problem.
26 > >>>
27 > >>>What am I missing? Some new feature that the video card remembers
28 > >>>what
29 > >>>monitor it is supposed to hook up to?
30 > >>>
31 > >>>Thoughts? Fixes would be nice.
32 > >>>
33 > >>>Dale
34 > >>>
35 > >>>:-) :-)
36 > >>>
37 > >>Hi Dale,
38 > >>
39 > >>just a shot in the dark (I did the same a few weeks ago):
40 > >>
41 > >>May the non-working monitor has more than one input jack, say
42 > >>HDMI, DVI and analog.
43 > >>
44 > >>May be the monitor is set to await a signal at the HDMI input
45 > >>and physically the signal is feed into the DVI input ?
46 > >>
47 > >>HTH!
48 > >>
49 > >>Best regards,
50 > >>mcc
51 > >>
52 > >
53 > >This is a older monitor. It only has the DB-15 connector and the
54 > >power cord of course. This is funny tho. I booted the new puter with
55 > >the EV700 monitor hooked up. I logged into KDE and once it was
56 > >running, I cut off the power to the old monitor and unhooked the cable
57 > >from the puter. I then hooked up the EV910 monitor and cut on its
58 > >power. It works. Thing is, if I reboot, it does the same thing
59 > >again. No BIOS screen or anything. Weird huh?
60 > >
61 > >I may cut everything off, remove the video card from the system and
62 > >see if there is a button or battery on it. Maybe that will do
63 > >something, reset if nothing else. For those keeping up, even the
64 > >BIOS screen doesn't show up so this is not Gentoo, grub or anything.
65 > >It's just weird.
66 > >
67 > >Open to other ideas tho. This is the weirdest thing I have seen in a
68 > >while.
69 > >
70 > >Dale
71 > >
72 > >:-) :-)
75 > Update with some more info. This may be a monitor setting or
76 > something. I took the video card out and put in a different card, ATI
77 > actually. It works with the EV700 but not the EV910. No BIOS screen
78 > on the EV910 but works on the EV700.
79 >
80 > Another thing I noticed, when I switch displays after logging in, the
81 > EV910 is not as bright as usual. I'm not sure how that would matter
82 > but thought I would mention it.
83 >
84 > Anybody ever seen this before? If it was the OS then that would be one
85 > thing but not even the BIOS screen works. I thought that would even if
86 > nothing else would.
87 >
88 > Thoughts?
89 >
90 > Dale
91 >
92 > :-) :-)
95 Hi Dale,
96
97 I need a machine gun for all the shots in the dark...
98
99 May be a bad cable???
100 If the jack has an "sense pin" to indicate the presence of a
101 monitor to the graphics card and the cable to that pin (or the
102 pin itself is broken...then the grpahics card thinks "No monitor, no need
103 to generate a signal...).
106 The pin layout is here:
107 http://hep.fi.infn.it/CMS/power/old_site/Cables/50m/ctrl/A4602_DB15_pinout.jpg
110 HTH