From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changed monitor and even the BIOS screen doesn't show up.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 04:59:23
1 Dale wrote:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 >> Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-12-14 05:04]:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> I am in the process of switching from the old rig to the new rig.
7 >>> While doing the install I was using a Gateway EV700 monitor and it
8 >>> worked fine. I unhooked the cables from my old rig and moved in the
9 >>> new rig. The new monitor is a Gateway EV910. When I boot with the
10 >>> Gateway EV910 hooked up, it doesn't even come out of power saver mode
11 >>> or show the BIOS screen that pops up when I first turn the puter on.
12 >>> It does work with the one I used to install with, EV700. So, I know
13 >>> the card didn't mess up in the switch.
14 >>>
15 >>> Since it doesn't even work with the BIOS screen, this is not a OS
16 >>> issue. Is there some setting I have to change to be able to change
17 >>> monitors or am I just going nuts here? What is it about hooking up a
18 >>> different monitor that makes it not work? Both monitors support the
19 >>> same resolutions and I have switched these before with my old rig and
20 >>> not a single problem.
21 >>>
22 >>> What am I missing? Some new feature that the video card remembers what
23 >>> monitor it is supposed to hook up to?
24 >>>
25 >>> Thoughts? Fixes would be nice.
26 >>>
27 >>> Dale
28 >>>
29 >>> :-) :-)
30 >>>
31 >> Hi Dale,
32 >>
33 >> just a shot in the dark (I did the same a few weeks ago):
34 >>
35 >> May the non-working monitor has more than one input jack, say
36 >> HDMI, DVI and analog.
37 >>
38 >> May be the monitor is set to await a signal at the HDMI input
39 >> and physically the signal is feed into the DVI input ?
40 >>
41 >> HTH!
42 >>
43 >> Best regards,
44 >> mcc
47 > This is a older monitor. It only has the DB-15 connector and the
48 > power cord of course. This is funny tho. I booted the new puter with
49 > the EV700 monitor hooked up. I logged into KDE and once it was
50 > running, I cut off the power to the old monitor and unhooked the cable
51 > from the puter. I then hooked up the EV910 monitor and cut on its
52 > power. It works. Thing is, if I reboot, it does the same thing
53 > again. No BIOS screen or anything. Weird huh?
54 >
55 > I may cut everything off, remove the video card from the system and
56 > see if there is a button or battery on it. Maybe that will do
57 > something, reset if nothing else. For those keeping up, even the
58 > BIOS screen doesn't show up so this is not Gentoo, grub or anything.
59 > It's just weird.
60 >
61 > Open to other ideas tho. This is the weirdest thing I have seen in a
62 > while.
63 >
64 > Dale
65 >
66 > :-) :-)
69 Update with some more info. This may be a monitor setting or
70 something. I took the video card out and put in a different card, ATI
71 actually. It works with the EV700 but not the EV910. No BIOS screen
72 on the EV910 but works on the EV700.
73
74 Another thing I noticed, when I switch displays after logging in, the
75 EV910 is not as bright as usual. I'm not sure how that would matter but
76 thought I would mention it.
77
78 Anybody ever seen this before? If it was the OS then that would be one
79 thing but not even the BIOS screen works. I thought that would even if
80 nothing else would.
81
82 Thoughts?
83