From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changed monitor and even the BIOS screen doesn't show up.
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 04:22:58
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> [10-12-14 05:04]:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> I am in the process of switching from the old rig to the new rig.
7 >> While doing the install I was using a Gateway EV700 monitor and it
8 >> worked fine. I unhooked the cables from my old rig and moved in the
9 >> new rig. The new monitor is a Gateway EV910. When I boot with the
10 >> Gateway EV910 hooked up, it doesn't even come out of power saver mode
11 >> or show the BIOS screen that pops up when I first turn the puter on.
12 >> It does work with the one I used to install with, EV700. So, I know
13 >> the card didn't mess up in the switch.
14 >>
15 >> Since it doesn't even work with the BIOS screen, this is not a OS
16 >> issue. Is there some setting I have to change to be able to change
17 >> monitors or am I just going nuts here? What is it about hooking up a
18 >> different monitor that makes it not work? Both monitors support the
19 >> same resolutions and I have switched these before with my old rig and
20 >> not a single problem.
21 >>
22 >> What am I missing? Some new feature that the video card remembers what
23 >> monitor it is supposed to hook up to?
24 >>
25 >> Thoughts? Fixes would be nice.
26 >>
27 >> Dale
28 >>
29 >> :-) :-)
32 > Hi Dale,
33 >
34 > just a shot in the dark (I did the same a few weeks ago):
35 >
36 > May the non-working monitor has more than one input jack, say
37 > HDMI, DVI and analog.
38 >
39 > May be the monitor is set to await a signal at the HDMI input
40 > and physically the signal is feed into the DVI input ?
41 >
42 > HTH!
43 >
44 > Best regards,
45 > mcc
49 This is a older monitor. It only has the DB-15 connector and the power
50 cord of course. This is funny tho. I booted the new puter with the
51 EV700 monitor hooked up. I logged into KDE and once it was running, I
52 cut off the power to the old monitor and unhooked the cable from the
53 puter. I then hooked up the EV910 monitor and cut on its power. It
54 works. Thing is, if I reboot, it does the same thing again. No BIOS
55 screen or anything. Weird huh?
56
57 I may cut everything off, remove the video card from the system and see
58 if there is a button or battery on it. Maybe that will do something,
59 reset if nothing else. For those keeping up, even the BIOS screen
60 doesn't show up so this is not Gentoo, grub or anything. It's just weird.
61
62 Open to other ideas tho. This is the weirdest thing I have seen in a
63 while.
64
65 Dale
66