From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Will installing grub-2.02 break my grub-0.97 setup?
Date: Sat, 07 May 2016 14:31:20
1 On 2016-05-06, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 6 May 2016 16:21:28 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >> >> Thanks. That's good to know -- I'll definitely set things up so I'm
5 >> >> not running winusb as root.
6 >> >
7 >> > Well, you could always reinstall grub-0 before rebooting, to make
8 >> > sure.
9 >>
10 >> I just created a systemsrescuecd bootable USB flash drive that can be
11 >> be used to re-install grub-0 in the MBR if something does go wrong.
12 >> But, running winusb as a non-privlidged user should prevent any
13 >> collateral damage to the MBR.
14 >
15 > It should also prevent winusb writing to the MBR of the USB stick,
16 > which sort of defeats the point.
17
18 Nope. I have my system configured so that my USB flash drives are
19 writable for users in the group "usb" -- of which I am one.
22 Grant