From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PYTHON_TARGETS something must have changed
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 14:38:42
1 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Up to a few days ago I had
3 >
4 > PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_8"
5 >
6 > in /etc/portage/make.conf
7 >
8 > and for any package to be installed for Python2.7, I had something like
9 > media-gfx/cropgui python_targets_python2_7
10 >
11 > in /etc/portage/package.use
12 >
13 > But now, I have to add python2_7 to PYTHON_TARGETS whenever I want to
14 > emerge a package which needs Python2.7
15 >
16 > But keeping
17 > PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_8 python2_7'
18 > in my make.conf
19 > will install an (additional) Python2.7 version whenever the package has
20 > python2_7 in PYTHON_COMPAT in its ebuild file.
21 >
22 > Furthermore I would have to add more and more
23 >
24 > -python_targets_python2_7
25 > in /etc/portage/package.use
26 >
27 > for any package which does not support Python2.7, any more.
28 >
29 > I am on the 17.1 desktop profile and use the GIT version of portage.
30 >
31 > What has changed and what can I do about it?
32 >
33 > Many thanks for a hint,
34 > Helmut
37 I posted about this earlier, in the wrong thread tho.  Anyway, I
38 subscribe to -dev and it seems they are starting to remove python 2
39 support, even tho some or even most things will still work for a while
40 longer.  It caused quite a bit of controversy.  There is actually a
41 couple threads about it.
42
43 The best I can come up with, start figuring out a way to keep python 2
44 around on your own, use a overlay if one is available or start expecting
45 python 2 to disappear, real soon.  It seems the devs want it gone even
46 before it's end of life.
47
48 Dale
49