From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] High load, idle CPU?
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:17:07
1 Florian Philipp schrieb:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > My virtual server seems to have a problem and I don't know how to find it.
5 >
6 > Today, while trying to create a new postgresql database I noticed that
7 > certain system operations seem to take ages. Normal work on the shell
8 > works just fine but for example accessing the postgresql server through
9 > psql, restarting tomcat, postgresql or zope all show the very same behavior:
10 > Execution freezes, the load average climbs to 1-1.9 and after a few
11 > minutes (maybe longer) the task finishes correctly. During all this
12 > time, top reports that the CPUs are 100% idle.
13 >
14 > Other services, for example rsyncd or openvpn, work normally. I also
15 > tried restarting the VM. Shutdown took maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Booting
16 > was much faster with only a few minutes until all services were up and
17 > running. However, it didn't solve the problem.
18 >
19 > So, my question is: How can I find out what is causing this? Can I
20 > somehow trace it? Find out why a process waits?
21 >
22 > Keep in mind that this is a virtual server. I have no control over the
23 > kernel. Oh, and before you ask: The only recent update was rkhunter from
24 > 1.2.9-r1 to 1.3.4-r2. I also enabled the chkrootkit weekly cronjob.
25 >
26 > Thanks in advance!
27 > Florian Philipp
30 Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I was just starting to try it out
31 when I noticed that the problem was gone. Maybe some other VM hogged the
32 system or something.