From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: tabbed x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 19:10:59
1 On Saturday 08 October 2011, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 10/08/11 13:43, Francesco Talamona wrote:
3 > > x11-terms/rxvt-unicode is one of the program I use the most, today
4 > > I lost the ability to have multiple tabs and almost panicked.
5 > >
6 > > I found the solution to have back this essential feature: re-enable
7 > > "perl" USE flag for this package and re-emerge.
8 > >
9 > > Just wanted to share my experience.
10 > > HTH
11 >
12 > I'm going to start a bug-filing campaign against packages like this
13 > some day. The only description we ever get for use flag foo is
14 > 'enable support for foo', which doesn't tell you anything at all
15 > about how it affects a given package.
16 >
17 > There are a number of packages with perl and python use flags where
18 > disabling the use flag will silently disable essential functionality.
19 > In my opinion, the use flag should simply be removed rather than
20 > have what amounts to USE=make_it_work_properly.
21 >
22 > I agree with the (default) removal of the perl and python flags:
23 >
24 > http://blog.jolexa.net/
25 >
26 > but you should complain about packages that are basically broken
27 > without them.
28
29 I'm not going to complain, though I'm willing to point out (e.g.
30 commenting on relevant bug reports) that some packages are affected in a
31 bad way by this move.
32
33 To be honest I didn't look for a solution in b.g.o because it was
34 straightforward; even if not so manifest for me the link between the
35 perl flag and the ability for rxvt to run tabbed (given that it doesn't
36 give an error).
37
38 I don't want to be blunt, but your plan looks to me quite vague.
39 My opinion is that some packages should have a different default.
40
41 Regards
42 Francesco
45 Linux Version 3.0.4-gentoo, Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Aug 31 07:34:34
47 Two 2.9GHz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processors, 4GB RAM, 11659 Bogomips Total
48 aemaeth