From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tabbed x11-terms/rxvt-unicode
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2011 18:45:09
1 On 10/08/11 13:43, Francesco Talamona wrote:
2 > x11-terms/rxvt-unicode is one of the program I use the most, today I
3 > lost the ability to have multiple tabs and almost panicked.
4 >
5 > I found the solution to have back this essential feature: re-enable
6 > "perl" USE flag for this package and re-emerge.
7 >
8 > Just wanted to share my experience.
9 > HTH
10
11 I'm going to start a bug-filing campaign against packages like this some
12 day. The only description we ever get for use flag foo is 'enable
13 support for foo', which doesn't tell you anything at all about how it
14 affects a given package.
15
16 There are a number of packages with perl and python use flags where
17 disabling the use flag will silently disable essential functionality. In
18 my opinion, the use flag should simply be removed rather than have what
19 amounts to USE=make_it_work_properly.
20
21 I agree with the (default) removal of the perl and python flags:
22
23 http://blog.jolexa.net/
24
25 but you should complain about packages that are basically broken without
26 them.