From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:56:33
1 On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 08:37:54 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
2
3 > > I already posted the script I use to do exactly that.
4 > >
5 > > emerge gentoo-sources
6 > > run the script
7 > >
8 > > I wonder it it would be possible to have the spl and zfs-kmod ebuilds
9 > > do this with an appropriate USE flag.
10 >
11 > Thats what I'm looking for... something that is automatic and basically
12 > 'just works'.
13 >
14 > Manually running a script as part of each kernel update just... well,
15 > computers do automation best.
16
17 I use a script to configure, build and install new kernels. It's called
18 from there, so it is automatic for me :)
19
20 > But thanks very much for your script. I'm just not comfortable (at this
21 > point at least) doing it that way on a production system...
22
23 That's the recommended way, since the script follows the instructions for
24 merging the modules in the kernel tree and uses the make scripts that
25 come with the sources. It will not mess up your kernel since it only adds
26 code, code that isn't even used until you enable it in the .config.
30 Neil Bothwick
31
32 MACINTOSH: Most Applications Crash; If Not, The Operating System Hangs