From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 19:18:37
1 > Am 23.04.2013 22:59, schrieb William Hubbs:
2 > > On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 09:49:19AM +0100, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
3 > >>> Feel free to remove PA if you don't need it. I really don't see any
4 > >>> scope for Lennart to make all of alsa redundant anytime soon (unlike
5 > >>> udev...)
6 > >>
7 > >> Of course from many threads from a pro audio user called Ralf, Gentoo
8 > >> users and so a fraction of Linux users are the only ones lucky enough
9 > >> to be able to do that *easily* whilst keeping packages they want,
10 > >> especially Gnome ones!
11 > >
12 > > I"m not a gnome user as of yet, but I can tell you that the day is
13 > > coming (Gnome 3.8 I believe) when gnome will not work without PA, so you
14 > > will have to install it if you want newer Gnome.
15 > >
16 > > William
19 > That's true, gnome3.8 will require you to install pulseaudio-2
22 Are you sure, I know there have been a couple of times in the past
23 where Gnome has leaned towards Linux only but they have always steered
24 clear eventually. I know of one guy who runs a network of hundreds of
25 Gnome/OpenBSD machines that may wish to know about that as I think he
26 is already getting fed up with the increasing amount of code he has to
27 write in order to keep the port working.
32
33 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
34 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
35 universal interface'
36
37 (Doug McIlroy)