From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:12:22
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tue, September 18, 2012 9:03 am, Dale wrote:
3 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, September 17, 2012 8:48 pm, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> I still have not hooked this thing up yet. We have storms predicted
6 >>>> here over the next couple days so I figure I will get a chance to
7 >>>> switch
8 >>>> whether I want to reboot or not. :/ I live close to the end of the
9 >>>> power lines, phone lines and everything else including the road. If
10 >>>> anything happens, we lose the connection. There are lots of trees
11 >>>> between here and town.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> I'll post the results when I get switched over. Then we have a answer
14 >>>> to the question.
15 >>> Dale,
16 >>>
17 >>> A good way to test a new UPS is to use it to power a light and hook up
18 >>> the
19 >>> USB/Serial/... to a computer to see what information you can get out of
20 >>> it
21 >>> in the various "normal" situations of "plugged in" and "not plugged in"
22 >>>
23 >>> You don't need to reboot your machine for that. :)
24 >>>
25 >> I need to reboot when I plug the power cord up tho. I have the UPS
26 >> plugged in and the battery is charged. I even hooked it up to a older
27 >> rig that was given to me and the UPS works fine. I just have not done
28 >> anything as far as hooking it to my main rig yet. I also have not
29 >> hooked up the data part, just the power part. I was running memtest on
30 >> the older rig to test some ram so no need trying to hook up the data
31 >> part on that. ;-)
32 >>
33 >> Plus, aren't you supposed to only unplug/plug a serial cable when it is
34 >> off? I'm not sure if they are sensitive to that but pretty sure they
35 >> were a long time ago.
36 > Not sure about Serial, I always did even when switched on when using
37 > external modems in the past and never did have a problem there.
38 >
39 > But if you want to see what USB gives as info, you could plug the
40 > USB-cable into your computer and see what info you can get?
43 Well, my old UPS is hooked to serial. I also have to recompile nut with
44 the correct drivers. I guess I could enable both drivers, old UPS and
45 new UPS, and see what that does. Well, I'd have to edit my config file
46 too. Sounds like time to backup /etc again, just in case. ;-)
47
48 Since we had some storms today, I was expecting at least one power
49 outage. Since I wouldn't have minded this time, we have had good clean
50 power all day long. The storms are mostly gone too. Maybe another
51 raccoon will jump up on the high voltage transformer at the substation.
52 It takes them about a hour to clean up the well done critter parts. lol
53
54 Dale
55
59 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!