From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 07:51:40
1 On Tue, September 18, 2012 9:03 am, Dale wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On Mon, September 17, 2012 8:48 pm, Dale wrote:
4 >>> I still have not hooked this thing up yet. We have storms predicted
5 >>> here over the next couple days so I figure I will get a chance to
6 >>> switch
7 >>> whether I want to reboot or not. :/ I live close to the end of the
8 >>> power lines, phone lines and everything else including the road. If
9 >>> anything happens, we lose the connection. There are lots of trees
10 >>> between here and town.
11 >>>
12 >>> I'll post the results when I get switched over. Then we have a answer
13 >>> to the question.
14 >> Dale,
15 >>
16 >> A good way to test a new UPS is to use it to power a light and hook up
17 >> the
18 >> USB/Serial/... to a computer to see what information you can get out of
19 >> it
20 >> in the various "normal" situations of "plugged in" and "not plugged in"
21 >>
22 >> You don't need to reboot your machine for that. :)
25 > I need to reboot when I plug the power cord up tho. I have the UPS
26 > plugged in and the battery is charged. I even hooked it up to a older
27 > rig that was given to me and the UPS works fine. I just have not done
28 > anything as far as hooking it to my main rig yet. I also have not
29 > hooked up the data part, just the power part. I was running memtest on
30 > the older rig to test some ram so no need trying to hook up the data
31 > part on that. ;-)
32 >
33 > Plus, aren't you supposed to only unplug/plug a serial cable when it is
34 > off? I'm not sure if they are sensitive to that but pretty sure they
35 > were a long time ago.
36
37 Not sure about Serial, I always did even when switched on when using
38 external modems in the past and never did have a problem there.
39
40 But if you want to see what USB gives as info, you could plug the
41 USB-cable into your computer and see what info you can get?
44 Joost