From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS and serial or USB connections
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 07:05:50
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Mon, September 17, 2012 8:48 pm, Dale wrote:
3 >> I still have not hooked this thing up yet. We have storms predicted
4 >> here over the next couple days so I figure I will get a chance to switch
5 >> whether I want to reboot or not. :/ I live close to the end of the
6 >> power lines, phone lines and everything else including the road. If
7 >> anything happens, we lose the connection. There are lots of trees
8 >> between here and town.
9 >>
10 >> I'll post the results when I get switched over. Then we have a answer
11 >> to the question.
12 > Dale,
13 >
14 > A good way to test a new UPS is to use it to power a light and hook up the
15 > USB/Serial/... to a computer to see what information you can get out of it
16 > in the various "normal" situations of "plugged in" and "not plugged in"
17 >
18 > You don't need to reboot your machine for that. :)
21 I need to reboot when I plug the power cord up tho. I have the UPS
22 plugged in and the battery is charged. I even hooked it up to a older
23 rig that was given to me and the UPS works fine. I just have not done
24 anything as far as hooking it to my main rig yet. I also have not
25 hooked up the data part, just the power part. I was running memtest on
26 the older rig to test some ram so no need trying to hook up the data
27 part on that. ;-)
28
29 Plus, aren't you supposed to only unplug/plug a serial cable when it is
30 off? I'm not sure if they are sensitive to that but pretty sure they
31 were a long time ago.
32
33 Dale
34
38 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!