From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OFF] string1!string2!string3 notation
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:32:30
1 On 2012-02-27, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 >> As others have said it's a "bang path" for UUCP routing.
4 >>
5 >> It was used for mail routing even when not strictly using UUCP as
6 >> well.
7
8 Interesting. That's something I wasn't aware of.
9
10 >> This was before such thing as DNS and you got to pass around host tables
11 >> (/etc/hosts) which contained all known hosts and their IP addresses.
12 >
13 > Predates me somewhat, but I believe UUCP operated over DUN/direct
14 > serial without the IP layer, as well.
15
16 Yes, UUCP worked over both TCP and dial-up.
19 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! An air of FRENCH FRIES
20 at permeates my nostrils!!
21 gmail.com