From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OFF] string1!string2!string3 notation
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 17:22:01
1 On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > * Claudio Roberto Fran?a Pereira <spideybr@×××××.com> [120227 08:35]:
3 >> I'm reading Writing Solid Code, by Steve Maguire, and at the end of
4 >> the book there is an about the author section that mentions two
5 >> contact addresses: one is an email, the other is
6 >> microsoft!storm!stevem. The book is from 1993, so that should be an
7 >> old address, for an old protocol. So what? That's not enough for my
8 >> curiosity. Anyone does know where this came from?
9 >>
10 >> --
11 >> Claudio Roberto França Pereira
14 > As others have said it's a "bang path" for UUCP routing.
15 >
16 > It was used for mail routing even when not strictly using UUCP as well.
17 >
18 > This was before such thing as DNS and you got to pass around host tables
19 > (/etc/hosts) which contained all known hosts and their IP addresses.
20
21 Predates me somewhat, but I believe UUCP operated over DUN/direct
22 serial without the IP layer, as well.
26 :wq